Nasir Muazu, a Major General, stated this in Akure on Saturday at the closing ceremony of the Nigeria Army Inter Brigade Competition.
“I just came back from the North East and I can comfortably tell you that Boko Haram cannot and I repeat cannot take any offensive attack against Nigerian Forces, that one is for sure,” the General Officer Commanding 2 Mechanized Division of the Nigerian Army said.
Mr. Muazu said the insurgents, who last year displaced soldiers from several military formations in the North East as they seized several territory, had changed tactics to aiming at soft targets.
“What the Boko Haram insurgents are now doing is hitting sub-targets which indicates that their days are numbered,” he said.
He assured that the country’s armed forces are capable of bringing an end to the Boko Haram insurgency and that the military had reviewed and renewed its strategy to curb the activities of the terrorists.
Although, the Army General agreed that part of the major challenges confronting the country is the coordinated activities of the Boko Haram, he promised it would soon be brought to an end.
Mr. Muazu also said that all military commands had been placed on red alert in order to fight issues bordering on insecurity.
“We are looking forward to an Army that is responsive to the society, that would respond to the demand and needs of our people,” he said.
“I want to remind all Nigerians that this preparation of explosives by the insurgents is not carried out in the open, it is carried out in houses and hidden places. So every Nigerian must key into how we can win the battle against insurgency in the North East. I think with that support, we are going to make it.”
He assured that the Nigerian Army would continue to work for the sustenance of peace and not deviate from its professional roles of defending the territorial integrity of Nigeria.