STUDY IN CHINA

Monday, July 20, 2015

FG May Charge Dasuki For Sponsoring Terrorism

Indications emerged on Sunday that the embattled former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, might be charged to court for sponsoring terrorism.

Vanguard learnt that having taken some items from Dasuki’s homes in Abuja and Sokoto, including undisclosed amount of money in a bag,the DSS was seriously weighing options whether to immediately press terrorism charges against the man or tarry for a while and gather more information on him by probing his entire three-year tenure.


Competent sources in Abuja said that the Federal Government through the Department of State Security, DSS, had been covertly tracking information relating to Dasuki’s relationship with groups and individuals involved in the ongoing terrorism crisis in Nigeria.

One of the security agencies indicated last night that the aim of the tracking on the man was to establish whether or not the former top security aide of the president was in any way connected to groups sponsoring terrorism in the Northeast.
It was learnt that the move to trail the officer followed the inexplicable spike in the number of bombings by terrorists despite the huge sums of money released and expended by the Federal Government under his watch to checkmate terrorism.

The official said security operatives started monitoring the former security adviser around October last year to determine whether he had anything to do with such malevolent groups in the country with a view to reporting him to the former president.

The source said: “Everything we are doing points to the direction that the former NSA might be charged to court for terrorism and misuse of security funds.
“But how soon that happens will depend on the strength of evidence to support the charges,” a security source confirmed to Vanguard.

“Don’t forget that for for most part of the Jonathan’s days, the DSS and the office of the NSA did not agree on the modality of tackling the Boko Haram war. For instance, while the DSS clearly told the nation that the ‘real Shekau’ had been killed and that there should be no discussion with groups parading themselves as agents of the dead man, the other insisted that the man was alive and should be dialogued with.

Vanguard gathered that last week’s search of Dasuki’s homes in Abuja and Sokoto was part of the effort to gather appropriate evidence to nail him in court.

But in explaining the rationale behind the invasion of Dasuki’s homes, the government said that it was to prevent the former NSA from committing treasonable felony.

The statement signed by Tony Opuiyo, made it clear that the service adopted the proactive measure to “prevent individuals with penchant for impunity and lawlessness from putting back the nation to the dark days”.

It warned: “The days of impunity and indecisiveness in the face of unpatriotic acts by individuals operating against the state, are over.”

But it was also learnt the former NSA was also warming up to challenge the invasion of his homes by the security agents but no date had yet been set.

No comments:

Post a Comment