STUDY IN CHINA

Friday, August 7, 2015

We stopped Shekau from disrupting 2015 elections – Dasuki

dasuki
The former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, on Thursday gave an insight into what the Goodluck Jonathan government he served did to tackle Boko Haram and stop the sect and its leader, Abubakar Shekau, from disrupting the last general elections.

Mr. Dasuki, in an interview with PRNigeria, an organisation that distributes statement for Nigerian security agencies, said under his guidance, steps were taken by the armed forces to ensure the terrorists never spoke again.

“We utilised some of these equipment to recover more than 22 local governments under Boko Haram terrorists and ensured that Shekau did not disrupt the 2015 election as he had threatened. Not only did we ensure that the elections were peaceful, Shekau has never spoken to threaten anyone again since then,” Mr. Dasuki said.

The former NSA said some other weapons paid for by the past administration would arrive the country soon.

He said, “It was unfortunate that some elements are frustrating the efforts as we even had to query some suppliers for delay in delivery of arms and ammunition.”

Mr. Dasuki, who was placed under house arrest by operatives of the Department of State Security, DSS for two days in July, said, “In attempt to rubbish individuals for whatever reasons, political or otherwise, we should be careful not to rubbish sensitive institutions and their personnel that might still be in active service.”

He said it is unfortunate that some elements in Nigeria hide under the cover of anonymity in the media to rubbish some of the sacrifices made by him and some other individuals, stating that such elements should the take the courage to come out publicly by identifying themselves with their baseless allegations.

The SSS, after the siege on Mr. Dasuki’s Abuja residence, released a statement saying it launched the operation after obtaining intelligence that the former NSA planned to commit treasonable felony against the Nigerian state.

Speaking on the weapons acquired and achievements by the past administration, Mr. Dasuki said the Jonathan administration facilitated the acquisition of massive weapons in the last one year and recovered many local governments occupied by Boko Haram terrorists.

Some of the weapons he said include Alpha jets, APCs, MRAP vehicles, advanced artillery pieces, assorted arms and ammunitions, highly sophisticated surveillance drones, T72 and carried out modification of F7 supersonic jet fighters.

“The armored tanks have comprehensive NBC protection system, just as we deployed Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles that we bought and could withstand improvised explosive device (IED) attacks and ambushes. The vehicles had protected our troops from land mine threats,” he said.

He said the acquisitions were made in the last one year following the antics of “western powers” who denied Nigeria equipment and sabotaged efforts made to acquire same from other sources, which he cited as reasons for some delay in delivery.

“We are glad that we also provided assorted Armoured Personnel Carriers to transport troops to the battlefield. They are armed for self-defence and to provide protection from attacks from shrapnel and small arms fire,” he said.

premiumtimes

No comments:

Post a Comment