Fifteen months after its last attack on the capital city, the extremist Boko Haram sect ferociously returned to Abuja Friday, simultaneously bombing locations in two satellite towns and killing at least 15 people.
The terrorist group had been effectively fenced away from the capital since it attacked a shopping plaza -Emab – in the Wuse 2 District of the city on June 24, 2014, killing at least 21 and injuring 17 others, according to police.
In the first attack, the insurgents descended on Kuje, a town few kilometres from the city centre, blowing up a market and a police station.
An official of the National Emergency Management Agency, Ishaya Chonoko, said 13 people died in that attack, with 20 others injured.
But almost simultaneously, another bomb sounded in Nyanya, one of the most populated towns in Abuja.
Mr. Chonoko said two persons were killed in the attack while 19 were injured.
Mr Chonoko said the corpses of the two dead persons and one critically injured persons were taken to the Asokoro General Hospital.
He said the remaining 18 persons were receiving treatment at the Nyanya General Hospital.
The explosions were the first in Abuja since President Muhammadu Buhari took office in May, with a pledge to defeat Boko Haram.