STUDY IN CHINA

Monday, October 5, 2015

Pics : ISIS-affiliated Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Abuja’s Suicide Bombings

One of the suicide bombers/photo credit : RT
 Nigeria’s Boko Haram militants, who have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State, have claimed responsibility for a series of suicide bombings near the Nigerian capital that killed 18 people and left dozens wounded last week.

The terrorist group released a statement on Twitter on Sunday along with three photos of suicide attackers involved in Friday’s deadly blasts. The first two attacks happened in Kuje township, where a suicide bomber attacked a police station while another bomb was detonated at a nearby market. The third device exploded in Nyanya at a bus stop.

According to the latest death toll, 18 people lost their lives, while 41 others were injured, according to Abuja Zonal, the Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency.

The blasts in the Federal Capital Territory happened in an area where more than 3,000 persons displaced by Boko Haram are currently living. Police sources told local papers on Sunday that the most likely option was that the attacks had been conducted by fighters hiding among the displaced persons living around the capital.


“The bombings could not have been carried out by terrorists from outside Abuja, but by insurgents who have been hiding in the FCT, particularly among the IDPs,” a source told Nigeria's Punch publication. “The police are focusing on the displaced persons because they believe some of them could be Boko Haram sympathizers, who are working for the sect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment